Maps, first and foremost, are made to be able to help people reach their destinations without the need to use nagging words by asking people for directions as to what is the best and fastest route to take especially if you’re on the run and you’re probably chasing a train that is expected to leave the station in a few minutes. While there’s absolutely nothing wrong in asking for assistance because as they all say, asking is what makes people smarter, it actually feels better when you already know at hand where you are supposed to go to reach your destination because it’s more efficient and it saves you more time, enabling you to do more upon reaching that destination. While conventional maps have proven to be helpful, some find them boring to say the least. In fact, some people, especially those who are inside amusement parks, would prefer to use illustrated maps to determine their exact location in the park and the location of the attraction they wish to try next. You see, an illustrated map contains pictures of structures and even people in an area of concern and those pictures, symbols enable users to easily identify where they are standing at that very moment.
While using illustrated maps has been proven beneficial owing to the fact that symbols and images that are printed in the maps themselves are helping people determine their location, aren’t you wondering how this specific type of map is being made? In case you want to make your own illustrated map, below are the steps:
- Of course, you have to choose the area which you will make a map for.
- Since an illustrated map is filled with pictures, the next step is to research about the area and collect the necessary pictures.
- Next, draw out the important routes and needed pathways in the map which the users of the map can use anytime.
- Then, draw out the main roads in the map if there are any.
- Also include the minor roads so users can have a choice. Remember to colour code the main and minor roads for differentiation purposes.
- You may now add places which may interest people such as tourist spots, famous structures or vital installations.
- Decorate the map to make it livelier.
- Put finishing touches such as title and other important details.