If you haven’t tried Indian food before or haven’t ventured somewhere in the Indian regions, then you are surely missing out on something. Indian food is known for its exquisite flavor and combination of spices which will make you see India in a new perspective. Its culture and tradition are embedded on the very dish they eat. Here are some traditional dishes one should try:
- Biryani is the number one most popular Indian food. It is consists of rice mixed with various spices though saffron stands out the most. Combined with the rice is marinated meat which can either be mutton or chicken. This dish is perfect if you have a large family gathering.
- Chole bhature is a curry dish made of chickpea and full of flavorful spices. This is usually consumed with flour bread which is fried. Can be served as breakfast.
- If you love dimsum then you will surely love Momos. This dish came from the North Eastern part of the region. It is mostly served together with spicy red chutney. This is perfect if you are looking for a midnight snack because it is light on the stomach.
- Idli is ideal for those who need something on the heavy side for breakfast. This dish originally came from the south. The batter which has been fermented is made up of lentils and rice that has been fairly grounded. It is then formed into circles before steaming.
- Rajma which is more common in the northern part of India is made up of kidney beans that are coated with thick gravy sauce. This is best served with rice and eaten on cold days.
- Gulab jaamun is a dessert made from dried milk and molded into small balls. These are then slow cooked before boiling in a mixture of syrupy sugar.
- Pani puri is the answer to a craving of every flavor in a single meal. It is mainly a crispy, round bread with a hollow center. The hollow is where the tamarind paste, chickpeas, spiced water, onion and potato are added.
If you are not visiting India anytime soon then it is best to visit the nearest Indian restaurant in your area. For those in Perth, check out twofatindians.com.au.