One of the most common questions asked by charter guests is if they can bring kids along in their charter cruise. The answer is yes, as long as the kid is 3 years and above. There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to kids joining a charter trip. The most important thing to keep in mind to make sure that the trip with kids will be a success is to involve them in the action, tell them what you are doing and put them in charge of small things. One should never underestimate what a child can do except those that involve strength that a 3 or 4 year old can’t do. The key is to make them feel like they are a part of the crew.
If you are going with kids between 3 and 6 years old, here are a few tips:
- Explain what they should expect when on the boat.
- Show the parts of the boat and what they are called. Tell them what each part does.
- Ask the child a question every now and then about the things you have told him or her.
- The dinghy is a magical place for kids as they get to play as captain. Show them how to steer but very slowly.
- Have the child sit on your lap while steering the boat to let them know what you are doing.
- Show them how to do simple knots and where it can be used.
- Simple words should be used when explaining and don’t forget to congratulate when he or she does something right.
- Have a book ready on board that is related to the boats and ocean.
- Teach the child to keep their room tidy because it means a safer boat.
For those with kids aged 6 to 9 years old, here’s what you can do:
- Let the child steer and tell them about the effects of the winds with regards to the sails.
- Explain what the compass tells and the purpose of the wind direction indicator.
- Teach them the importance of flag etiquette.
- Put them in charge of some things on the boat.
- Keep related books on board.
All these tips can also be applied when you bring your kids to yacht charters in Phuket.